The Antarctic Directorate (DIRANTARTICA) centralizes the Antarctic affairs and the planning and management of its diplomatic, legal and political aspects, along with relevant national and international organizations, safeguarding the national interest for the conservation and protection of the Antarctica and the sovereign rights of Chile on the Chilean Antarctic Territory, an area projected to the South Pole, between Longitude 53°W and 90°W.
The Antarctic Directorate deals with all aspects related to the Antarctic Treaty System and relevant bilateral relations, fully complying with international obligations originated by this System, its instruments and advisory mechanisms in the administration of the Antarctic Continent.
The Antarctic Directorate coordinates the implementation of the National Antarctic Policy, the Antarctic Tourism Policy, along with the Antarctic Strategic Plan 2020-2024, collaborating with other relevant public entities in positioning Chile as a Bridge Country, and the Magallanes and Chilean Antarctic Region as the Gateway to Antarctica, ensuring the development of productive activities in the Antarctic Continent, under strict adherence to the rules of the Antarctic Treaty System.
- Implementing the 2017 National Antarctic Policy, the 2020 Antarctic Tourism Policy and the Antarctic Strategic Plan 2020-2024.
- Coordination of National Antarctic activities with other agencies of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs dealing with Antarctic issues: the Chilean Antarctic Institute (INACH) and the National Directorate of State Limits and Borders (DIFROL);
- Coordination of national Antarctic activities with other governmental entities with Antarctic competence: Ministry of Defense, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Public Works, Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Economy and Region of Magallanes and Chilean Antarctica.
- Coordination of national Antarctic activities with academic institutions, civil society, companies and private organizations.
- Preparation and coordination of national positions to the Antarctic Treaty System meetings.
- Preparation and coordination of Antarctic inspection processes in accordance with provisions of Article 7 of the Antarctic Treaty and Article 14 of the Environmental Protocol.
- Coordination of bilateral political consultations on Antarctic matters.
- Coordination of the Chilean participation in the Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR), ensuring compliance with Chile's obligations.
- Participation at the Operational Committee for the Antarctic Environmental Impact Assessment of the Ministry of Environment, which meets periodically in Punta Arenas.
- Executive Secretariat of the Antarctic Policy Council and its Permanent Work Committees: General Affairs and Financial Affairs.
- Participation in the National Committee of Antarctic Geographical Names (CNNGA).
Mr. Camilo Sanhueza Bezanilla
Ms. Catalina Ulloa
Tel: (56-2) 2 827 44 01