Sentencia Corte IDH caso "Norin Catrimán y otros vs. Chile"
The membership of SCAR comprises the appropriate bodies of those national scientific academies or research councils which are the adhering bodies to ICSU and which are, or plan to be, active in Antarctic research, together with the relevant scientific Unions of ICSU. It includes the original twelve members and an increasing number of subsequent members.
There are three categories of membership: Full Members, ICSU scientific unions members and Associate Members. Full Members are those countries with active scientific research programme in Antarctica, currently 31; union members are those ICSU scientific unions that have an interest in Antarctic research, currently 9; and Associate Members are those countries without an independent research programme as yet or which are planning a research programme in the future, currently 4. In addition, there are the Honorary Members of SCAR; those individuals who have, over many years, rendered outstanding service to SCAR and scientific research in Antarctica.
The National Committee of each Full Member of SCAR appoints a Permanent Delegate and an Alternate Delegate to SCAR; ICSU Unions appoint a single Union Delegate; and Associate Members appoint a Delegate. These delegates attend the bi-ennial SCAR Delegates Meeting but only the Permanent and Union Delegates may vote.
SCAR Research Groups, Data Management Groups and Standing Committees
- Standing Scientific Group on GeoSciences (SSG-GS)
- Standing Scientific Group on Life Sciences (SSG-LS)
- Standing Scientific Group on Physical Sciences (SSG-PS)
- Joint Committee on Antarctic Data Management (JCADM)
- Standing Committee on the Antarctic Treaty System (SC-ATS)
- Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SC-AGI)
- Standing Committee on Finance - this can only be accessed via the members' page which is password protected.